|

Rome

Tags: , , ,


I had a few days in Rome to experience the heart of the old Roman empire and to get a well deserved break after a busy week in the Apennine mountains.

My bus from Pescara arrived the Tiburtina Station, but it was straightforward to jump on the metro to the overcrowded Termini Station in central Rome. I had no hotel reservation, which started to worry me because it was autumn holidays in many European countries. That meant Rome was going to be a fairly busy destination.

A couple of block south of the Termini station, I found dozens of hotels in all kind of price categories. After a few inquiries I ended up in a budget hotel which set me back 55 Euro per night including breakfast. Fairly expensive for a basic room and a toast with jam, but this is Rome.

During the next two days, I visited the major attractions of Rome like the Colosseum, Pantheon, Roman Forum, Fontana di Trevi etc. The Colosseum, one of the wonders of the world, didn't give me the same mind-boggling sensation that I had experienced at Angkor Wat, Machu Picchu or Taj Mahal. I was a little disappointed in fact, and I don't know why. Maybe my expectations were too high? The long lines to get inside was certainly also a mood killer.

On the third day, I visited the Vatican where I summited the highest hill of this tiny state.

Photo Album

Posted by gfg on Wednesday, October 10, 2012. Filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Feel free to leave a response

0 comments for "Rome"

Leave a reply

Continents

Recently Commented

Recently Added

related posts widget for blogger with thumbnailsblogger templates